In putting together our new website section on nuclear energy's unmatched reliability, we uncovered some facts that the folks who aren't familiar with our industry might find surprising. Feel free to share them, and the below infographic, on social media.
1. Nuclear power plants are the most efficient source of electricity, operating 24/7 at a 90 percent average capacity factor.
2. A nuclear plant refuels once every 18 months, in spring or fall, replacing one-third of the fuel each time—so just-in-time fuel deliveries are never an issue.
3. One uranium fuel pellet creates as much energy as one ton of coal or 17,000 cubic feet of natural gas.
4. A typical nuclear plant generates enough electricity for 690,000 homes without creating air emissions.
5. Nuclear energy generates more electricity than any other source in Connecticut, Illinois, New Hampshire, New Jersey, South Carolina, Vermont and Virginia.